The Methodist church in Kirkby-In-Ashfield town centre began life in the classroom of a teacher named Miss Brunt in 1876, and it soom became apparent that a permanent structure was requiredand so plans were made to erect a stone building on the current Trinity church site, however a temporary wooden building known as the “Noahs Ark” was built in New Street where Kirkby College is now located.
Work on the new building commenced on 29th April 1879 when the minister Rev. Charles WL Christien laid the foundation stone . It took only 5 months to complete and Noahs Ark was moved from New Street to the land behind the church where it served as the sunday school until it was replaced in 1890 when a larger hall with a stage was built which remained unti 1980.
At this stage the church was called Diamond Avenue church and in 1959 it was improved after which the name Trinity was adopted. However in 1963 disaster struck the church. A fire caused considerable damage to the buiding which required extensive repairs and decoration. But the church was a victim of damp and rot which was to lead to the eventual complete rebuild of the church. In 1998 work began to tear down the old trinity church and build the new church in its place. The new church was finished in 2001 and remains to this day, a centre of religious worship and community events.